Thursday, July 14, 2011

O-M-E-N-T-U-M


Since we last chatted Jason ended up back in the ER on July 4th and we finally found out the cause of his agony. Apparently he had a twisting and infarction of his greater omentum. And no, I didn't mean to type momentum.

What in the name of Pete is an omentum? Yeah we asked the same thing. Let me attempt to summarize. It's basically a layer of fatty tissue that we all have over our intestines. I guess it kinda sorta protects the intestines. What's also neat is that the omentum can often be found wrapped around areas of infection and trauma to isolate and basically kill off those areas. Kinda cool. Anyway, apparently in rare cases, the omentum can randomly become twisted up and then infarct (the tissue begins to die off).

So when we got sent home from the ER the first time, my poor husband laid on the couch in misery the whole weekend. He woke me up at 6 am Monday morning and said he couldn't take the pain anymore, which I knew to take seriously. At this point we thought it was his gallbladder acting up. Well after making it back to the ER they looked at his original CT scan and said they actually did see a small abnormality after all. So we did another CT scan, and the inflamed omentum area had tripled in size in 3 days. The surgeon called the size of Jason's twisted tissue "quite impressive". Basically the size of an orange.

Go big or go home Jason.

So, Monday early evening he had laparoscopic surgery to remove infarcted tissue. Jason immediately felt better (mostly because of the pain meds) and is still recovering very well. He is supposed to take it easy until next week. Thanks to our sweet friends for all their help and to the Maiers for mowing our yard for us!

Jason was a trooper and went with me to my best friend Adrienne's wedding in Crested Butte this past weekend. It was such a wonderful time. Adrienne was a gorgeous bride and all the wedding festivities were fabulous. Just wish J had been in prime condition so he could have hiked and biked like i know he wanted too. We also shared a condo with our wonderful friends Meagan, Jeremy, Sarah, and Huynh. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! I will post more pics when I see Adi's professional pics, but here are a few from the weekend...

me and the bride...

bridesmaids!

Adi and Garrett!

me and the hubs.

ROPES COURSE!

No comments:

Post a Comment